Opportunities and challenges for
Sustainability in the 2020s:
Understanding environments, societies
and identities in Southeast Asia
10 – 13 March 2020
Jointly organized by
Southeast Asian Geography Association
SEAGA Conference 2020 in Bangkok
SEAGA, the Southeast Asian Geographers Association, established in 1990, is a regional association of geographers and other academic, education, government, and private sector professionals in related fields like history, the geo- and environmental sciences, and urban planning. Co-organised by SEAGA, Siam University, Thammasat University and Chulalongkorn University, the 2020 conference will also be celebrating SEAGA’s 30th anniversary.
The conference theme is: “Opportunities and challenges for Sustainability in the 2020s: Understanding environments, societies, and identities in Southeast Asia” and we are inviting multidimensional perspectives on this issue from scholars, policymakers, entrepreneurs, and educators. The aim of the conference is to advance the discourse on the issues of sustainability, space, place, and cultures in Asia, so as to inform the decision-making and actions of society, private enterprise, and governments. This theme was chosen based on the recommendation of the delegation to the previous SEAGA conference and the Network of Education in Sustainability Asia as they felt that there was a need for the community to address these issues from multiple perspectives.
First Call for Papers
This is the first call for papers on the following themes. Abstracts of paper/ workshop/panel proposal are to be submitted to the SEAGA Conference Organising Committee, using the online submission tool at http://www.seaga.info/seaga2020/
The submission deadline will be 30 November 2019. Acceptance letters will be sent after 1 January 2020. All submissions will be peer-reviewed.
Three types of proposals will be considered.
- Paper presentation (20 minutes)
- Specialised Panel Discussions (90-minute session comprising 3 papers)
- Workshops (90-minute workshop)
Do note that for paper presentations, there will be about 3 papers in each 90-minute session. A template for the full paper will be made available at a later date.
Major themes of interest:
- Sustainable Development and Southeast Asia
- Cities and sustainable development
- Economic growth, competitiveness and sustainable development SE Asia and Environmental Management
- Changing Population, carrying capacities and ecological footprints
- Politics, policies, and sustainability
- Health and development issues
- Changing Agriculture in SE Asia
- Geographies of rural transition
- New regionalisms in Southeast Asia
- Sustainability and Education
- Changing Physical Landscapes in Southeast Asia
- Living with Global Environmental Change
- Geography Education
- Field-based teaching in Southeast Asian geography
- Remote sensing and GIS
As part of our outreach to graduate students and young scholars (PhD less than 5 years) in developing economies, SEAGA will be providing 5 paper awards* of USD$500 to help these scholars augment the cost of attending and presenting a paper at the conference. Young scholars and graduate students may apply for a paper award by submitting a full-length paper.
The application for this award should be made with:
- A cover letter to express interest in the award.
- A statement in the cover letter to explain how your work will contribute to the field of Geography and Southeast Asia.
- The full-length version of your accepted paper.
The application should be made before 15 October 2019. A panel of international scholars will judge and announce the results by 1 Dec 2019. We will notify the award winners by email.
* One of the paper awards is the Ooi Giok Ling paper award, in memory of our late and past president, Professor Ooi Giok Ling.
You can also subscribe to the RSS feeds for the latest updates at http://www.seaga.info/rss/all.xml.